Sara Khaki was born and raised in Tehran, Iran. She graduated from the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) with her BFA in Film/Video, and the School of Visual Arts (SVA) with her MFA in Social Documentary Films, where she created a Social Documentary and was an Alumni Scholarship Award recipient.
While making her most recent documentary film “Facing the Mirror”, Sara worked as an Associate Producer, Cinematographer and Editor on a feature documentary commissioned by Al Jazeera about the behind-the-scenes of the launch of Al Jazeera America in the United States.
In the summer of 2013, Sara received the prestigious Marcie Bloom Fellowship, a yearlong program, where she met established filmmakers of the independent film world. In early 2014, Sara became a panelist at the School of Visual Arts (SVA) Alumni Scholarship Awards, selecting talented art students to receive the next round of scholarship awards. Sara currently works and lives in New York City.
• Honorable Mention at the International Film Awards | Berlin, Germany 2013
• Winner of ‘Ready, Set, Pitch!’ at CAAMFest | San Francisco, CA 2013
• Award of Excellence from the Best Shorts Competition | La Jolla, CA 2012
• Alumni Scholarship Award | School of Visual Arts | New York, NY 2012
• Merit Scholarship Award | School of Visual Arts | New York, NY 2011
• MFA Alumni Scholarship Panelist, School of Visual Arts | New York, NY 2014 IFP Marcie Bloom
• Fellowship in Film | New York, NY 2014 Interviewed for Student Filmmaker’s Magazine “SVA
• Alumni on the Move, Vol. 8, No.2 2013 Producers Institute Transmedia Conference at BAVC | San Francisco, CA 2013
• Young Professional Board Member of Mission: Restore | New York, NY 2012